Friday, July 17, 2015

Waitiki landing to somewhere

Waitiki landing to some where 

A late start to the the days riding as I get lost in a good book for a few hours - after packing up camp and fulling up all my water bottles- a 3 l water bladed, 2x 750ml bike drink bottles a 500 ml bike drink bottle and 2 x reused poweraid ? Bottles (750ml )   Why so much water ? Because the next place to get clean drinking water is 100+ km down 90 mile beach 

I'm back on the road- last day of heading north for a few months and the start of heading south from the Cape  - there is still a few big hills to climb in the last 20 km of road to the Cape so I take my time - the road seems a lot longer the only 20 km but after a few hours I do get to the north end of S,H.1 - so what is at the end of the road ? Well there's a roundabout and 2 big car parks some loos and a path leading down to the light house at the Cape - there's a few other things ( weather station? ) but that's about it  

The car park closers to the light house is around 1/2 full of cars, moter homes,a few bus's and some motor bikes . There is a lot more people here today then the last line I was here thought it was a wet and windy day that day - very different from today as there's not much wind and a warm day - warm enough that I road the bike in a sleeveless dress ( with bike shorts on but with out leg warmers)  

Walking the bike down to the light house reading some of the information signs they have next to the track I stop a few times before  I get to the light house . Onice I'm by the light house I wait for many of the people to head back to the car park - so I can get some photos of me the the signs and light house behind me - it's not the most easily thing to get photos - I do have a selfie stick what my mum got me ( thought most of the time it gets more used as a back scratcher by  me  instead of doing photos : )

At one point I decide to have some fun dressing In some of my nicer clothes and long boots - well I have then on the bike with me so I might as well have a bit of fun with them : ) 

I get a few people to take my photo ( and take a few photos of other people with they phones)  well time flies when you having fun so it time to put my bike gear back on get a few last photos and slowly riding up the hill to the car park. Stoping to chat to a few people along the path  then it's time to leave the car park and start heading south :  )  for the 15 km on s.h.1 until I get to the tune off to te paki stream rd where I say good bye to highways for the next 80 + km but first I got 3 km of gravel road to ride then 3 km of stream to walk the bike thought ( with quite sand in places if I found out ) 

After 3 km of road the road turns into the stream- it's one of the ways to get on or off  the beach in a car or tour bus - looking at the water in the stream I decided just to walk the bike the 3? Km to the beach as that way it's easy to grab when I run into very soft sand ( quat sands ) what does happens a few times also with less wight the bike sits better on to of the sand - once I'm on the beach it's a lot more easy to ride on the hard packed sand 

After some time walking the bike it's time to start looking for some where to camp for the night I find a ok spot taking care to keep the sand out of the gear and break leaver 

No comments: