Friday, July 17, 2015

Some where to paihia

Some where to paihia 

Well it's stopped raining 

After packing up I start riding a long the cycle trail to opua - it one place I have to unhook my bike trailer so I can get thought the ant- moter bike barriers as the trailer is a few cm to wide to fit when still hooked up to the bike  then there's the train station at the end of the rail line for trains ( for now ) that runs back to kawakawa - part of the bay of islands railway that was one of the first rail way lines in the North Island of nz ( built in 1884) after the station there is a long bridge that has been rebuilt in the last year or so the trail then runs next to the sea before heading though a short tunnnel and back next to the sea to opua where the car ferry to Russell leaves from as I'm still heading north I climb up a steep hill on to a not so nice busy road that heads over a few more hills before dropping into paihia where after a visit to the information Centre to see if a back road walking /cycle track to kerikeri is open ( that happens to be part of the te Araroa trail ) I head a few km to the waitangi treaty grounds - only to find its now $15 to get in - was free for kiwis when I was last here lest then a year ago - so I decided not to go this time and head back to paihi to find a place to stay the night - just for some thing different I decide to stay at the yha backpacks ( who don't have any issues with me not having photo id- unlike just about any other back packers I have tried staying at lately- even some camp grounds as wanting photo id now ) so I ended up having a nice room for $20 a night - even came with bedding  ( was a 8 bed room with its own bathroom  but only had  2 other people staying there that night ) 

No comments: