Friday, July 17, 2015

Some where on 90 mile beach to some where else

Some where on 90 mile beach to some where else 

A good sleep in this morning as I wait for the tide-  after all it's a bit hard to ride on a beach when these still water over the part of beach you going to ride :  ) 

As it's time to go I take my time getting as much sand out and off my tent before packing it all away 

Once I'm back on the beach I keep riding stoping about ever 10 km or so for a bit of food and a drink until I get to first a turn off to a road off the beach for a bit stop then it's back on the beach riding to i get to Aihpara ( with the last few km going I bit more faster as the beach turned south west ? So I even had a bit of a tail wind at Aihpara I head off the beach as it's the south end of riding on the beach 

At the shops I stop for some fish and chips and to start the long job of taking the sand and salt off the bike and trailer - I get much of the sand off the trailer ( where the top of the trailer had a 1 cm thick layer of sand on ( mostly from being flick up the the back wheel -  might need a mud flap or some thing like that on the mudguards ) I clean the sand off the drive chain and a few other places 

After the bit of bike cleaning and the fish And chips it's time to get Back on the road - where I end up taking the long way out of town before turning right ( South ) on the the back roads as I start climbing up a long hill ( North land - land of the hills ? ) at the top theres a place I remember well as it is part of the te Araroa trail ( where the Ta trail turns off the road and heads on to a bush track  ( it was up this track on my ta walk that I met some new friends  of mine where we walked a few days of the trail together) heading down the other side of the hill there is road works so I take it slowly down the hill 

From the bottom of the hill the road is a mix of rolling hills and a few flat bits. After some more km as it's starting to get dark I start to look for a place to camp for the night - at one house I see some people out side so  deside to ask one of them . The reply is how about under that tree pointing to a spot in the yard. So after saying thank you and a bit of a chat ( where I got asked if I pushed my bike up big hill today - my reply was along the lines of bikes are for riding up hills not pushing up ( I got nice low gears on the bike : ) I set up camp for the night before heading off to bed 

No comments: