Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Near waipoua forest to some where

Near waipoua forest to some where 

It's bit of a change sleeping inside - had a bit of a late night as was up to midnight -partly as I was reading on the iPad also the heater/air conditioning keep turning on then off (had no idea how to turn the thing off )  . After getting out of bed I packed up and got on the road heading into the waipoua forest - 18? Km of windy road though bush.

 After a few km of riding I came to the car park of the 5 min walk to the big kauri tree knowing as tane mahuta ( lord of the forest ) -it's the largest living kauri tree in nz - the dimensions of the tree are trunk hight 17.7 M ,total hight 71.5 M , trunk girth 13.8 M , trunk volume 244.5 M (3) and the age of the tree is around 2000 years old 

After spending some time looking at the tree and other bush and having a play with the cameras I get back on the road though the rest of the forest at one point passing between 2 large kauri trees ( on a one lane bridge over the roots of the trees ) before heading down a fun down hill for a few km before crossing a bridge over a river ( and a turn off to a vister centre) then the road starts climbing again- about 5 km past the bridge and side road I come out of the forest on to farmland with the road still climbing- after getting to the top of that hill there's still a few more hills to climb unto a 2 km long steep down hill ( lots of fun as I wind around the bends around 50 km/h ) leading in to the next small town where I stop for a bit and get some food and a bottle of poweraid ( as I was riding though the bush one of the lids came off one of the 2 poweraid bottles I had water in so I deside to replace the bottle with the now missing lid to a new one ) after chating to the person for a bit on different things I get back on the road to get in a few more km for the day before its time to look for a place to camp for the night - after cheeking the phone for emails/messages I stop at one house and end up settling up camp in the back yard for the night 

No comments: