Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Kauaeranga vallery to 5 km North of Thames

Kauaeranga vallery to 5 km North of Thames 

I decided to head into town a day earlier than planned and stay the night at holiday park ( camping ground ) so I didn't have to rush in the morning to meet up with the people I would be doing a few things with over the next 2 days - after paying for the doc camp site - where the cost has gone up from $6 to $10 a night ( might not seem much but when you on a low budget having to pay nearly 2x the cost for the same thing it's not a good sign of things to come ( a place to put a tent and a long drop tolet - about what one would find in many roadside rest areas in nz ) when one lives full time on the road by bike or on foot the cost to stay somewhere can be a big part of ones budget so having to pay up to $65 a night for a tent site tends be be a bit of a rip off as one now has little choice of where to stay partly because of the no free camping laws that have come in over the last few years ( mostly because some people in campervans have left a mess behind) also some camping grounds have been pushing to have it that you must stay in (high cost ) camping grounds as they think they might be missing out on business (and so charge even more )  also there's signs saying its un safe to free camp (playing on people's fears ) well in all the years of travel in nz I done  (around 16 year - the last 8 full time traveling) I had had no issues with my safety when free camping the only issues I have had when staying places have been in high cost camp grounds (the place where the government tends to say you must stay when you in a tent ) with a few things going missing or people playing with the bike or other gear over the years - that said I am cafull just where I set up camp each night and tend to stay away or spend little time as possible in less safe places (like parts of North land ) 

After getting into Thames I spend some time in the library for a few hours before heading out  5 km out of town to the camping ground for the night where after I set up camp I spend a few hours reading before going to bed for the night 

No comments: