Friday, July 17, 2015

Auckland to woodhill sands

Auckland to woodhill sands 

After leaving the motel I head down queen st toward the train station stopping at a few places like getting a northland road map from a book shop ( with so many people using they phones or gps units to find they way around now I had spend a few minutes thinking of who sells maps in down town auckland) - I still use paper maps party as I don't have to worry about then going flat or not working when there is no cellphone coverage thoug I do tend to use my phone more in city's to find my way around 

After getting a few days of food at the supermarket I then head to the main  Auckland train station to get a train north west out of the city - was planning to get the train to waitakere ( the train used to go more North at one point I used to get it all the way to  helensville but no longer ) as it's the week end I find the train only runs to Swanson so I got a few more km to ride then planed 

After I get off the train at Swanson I give some friends ( who I know thought the horse world ) a call to ask if they know of someone's place I can put my tent for the night - they give me the ok to stay at they place ( thought there is a none horse event on at they place 

Now that I know where I'm aiming for I start riding keeping a eye on the map ( and phone ) as I head along some back roads to met up with S.H.16 at kumeu the roads a mix of a few hills ( some steeper then others ) and flater bits passing thought a few town like huapai and waimauku  on the way to my friends place at woodhill sands  where after a quick phone to say I got there and find out where they want me to put my tent for the night and talking to the person looking after the site ( there is a big event on at the center to do with off road running/climbing over/under things ) 

After setting up camp I head off to sleep for the night 

No comments: