Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Rawene to some where near waipoua forest

Rawene to some where near waipoua forest 

It's still a bit windy this morning as I pack up but not as windy as the last 2 days have been - getting on the road about 10 am ( only about a hour later then planed :  )  then it was back on the road heading out of town - as I leave town  there is a small hill to climb - just a taste of thing to come 

After the first little hill :  ) the road is just about flat is it runs next to the sea for the new few km before I get to a T juldin? Where after some thought I turn right to head out to the west coast passing though a few small towns and heading over a few bigger hills that are a nice warm up for the rest of the up coming hills for the next few days - on one of the hills some one walked past me as said only 7 more km to go - not sure if then meant for me of for then ? Riding until I got to the town of opononi ( where there is a Bronze statue and a grave marker to a donfine? ) i stop to pick up a bit more food as I'm not sure what shops will still be open ( I see many shops that close for the winter ( or some times summer )or else fully close down as less people shop there as I travel around nz ) back on the road there is a good size hill to ride over with a rest stop on top where I stop for a bit of a break - the weather is mixed with mostly overcast with some blue sky at time with it being passing showers at other times   Back on the road there is a mix of riding with a few more hills to ride over - on one of the down hills there is some lose stock on the road so I slow down to go pass it ( at the same time it's starts to rain again) after some more riding I get in to a small town where I stop to go to the lool- going across to the small shop to get the key to get into the hall before getting a pie to warm up and some bread ( for dinner tonight) then it's back on the bike where as I leave town I have a long and some what steep climb up to waipoua forest . Around 5 pm the rain sets in as I start looking for a place to stay the night - at the first house I try and they offer the barn - what turns out not to be a hay barn ( and yes I have spent the night in a few hay barns over the years : ) but more some a place more like a house with kitchen, bathroom and even bedrooms ( with beds ) the nice person there tells me to make my self at home as we chat about a few things including bog inn hut a place we have both spent time there (old hut with lots of rats ) then I get changed into some nice dry clothes before setting on a bed and typing this up on the iPad 

No comments: