Sunday, June 8, 2014

Ohakune to some where

Ohakune to some where
A late start to the day ride as I head into town to the library? To charge up my ipad and read some books having a nice chat to some people about living on the road full time by bike over the last few years . Stocking up on food for the next few days before heading out of town stoping by the big Carrot just out side of town .Riding for around 10 km on the main road before turning down a back road heading away from the Mt around 3pm the roads I'm heading down are a mix of tar. Seal and gravel — in one place for around 3 km there's newly layed deep gravel on the road that's a mix between riding on railway ballet and riding on ball bearing - not fun at all as I have to get off and push the bike though the deep gravel in a few places as I can't ride with the tires I have on the bike (also with bike jumping around so much ) after I pass in to the r the road retuned s to some thing I can ride on - at one place a passing car stops to see if I'm ok asking if I'm lost I replay with no I'm not lost I know where I'm heading for - just taking back roads to get there the roads I'm taking are part of a cycling trail? In the nz cycle trail book - going this way one needs a good map as well as what's said in the book to keep on the right roads. Riding down a valley cut though the mud stone by the river at times dropping down to river level only to climb back up high - about an hour before dark I start looking for some where to camp for the night - stoping at a farm house I ask about some where to set up camp and the farmer said I could sleep in the (unused) sears corners so I header bout 1.5 km down the road to that place to stay the night 











No comments: