Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Doing the impossible

Doing the impossible

From around the first week of September 2014 I will be taking on Te Araroa trail 
So what is the Te Araroa trail and where is it ?

The ta trail is a tramping trail that runs 3000 km from one end of nz to the other end and takes around 4-6 months to walk it 

So Why am I doing the trail ? And why now 

A few reasons ....

It's been on my to do list for the last few years - many people have a wish list but I have a to do list - it's a list of things and places I would like to do or go to like the 1x ,2x,4x,8x lake Taupo rides and the end to end bike ride or the many places I have gone to in nz ( and some times out side nz ) in my travels 

In the past I was not ready to do the trail - I  have now decide that I'm now ready to do the trail after doing other big trips/ events - each one I have lean from ( some times what not to do : ) 

After spending so much time on the bike it's time I took a break from riding the bike ( don't worry I will be back on the bike after I do the Te Araroa trail ) as at times I get some what tired of all the riding I do ( around 10,000 km a year ) spending so much time on the bike 

Part of it is the time frame in that I need to do the trail in 4-6 months to get back in time for a few horse events also weather ( ie I can't do the trail over winter ) 

After I do the trail I will be spending a lot more time doing horse suff and getting into doing para-dressage so if I did not do the trail now I will not be able to do the trail for a long time as I will be busy doing horse suff : )

Yes I could do the trail in parts over time but that's not how I do things ( all or not at all : ) I did look in to doing the trail in parts but decided to do the full trail in one go 

My Heath is holding for now - at horse of the year my Heath did crash some what badly- that was more to much going on and to many people near me for me to deal with  ( head injury suff ? ) so I'm going to be using 2 walking poles to help keep me walking on the trail and maybe have more rest days then other people do on the trail taking the trail at my own pace and a few other things im looking at so I can do the trail

A big part of doing the trail for me is many ( well meaning ) people have told me that it would be impossible for me to do the trail - that it would be to hard or unsafe for me to try - how dare they try to put limits on me  telling me how I should live my life - people who have no real idea what I have done in life or what I can do - yes I'm disable but that don't stop me living my life the best I can - so many times people are told to take it easy , not to aim high , not to rock to boat ,not to push they selfs trying new things - it's so easy to fall into the same ( easy ) routine never pushing your self or trying new things - I'm aways looking for new things to try and aim for - after the Te Araroa walk is me Leaning how to ride para- dressage : )

No comments: