Sunday, August 5, 2012

training ride 27/07/2012 101 km


training ride 27/07/2012 101 km

a nice day so its time to get out on the bike heading though north/south patana over the foot bridge then its time to start on the hills (more hill training : ) passing one of the side road I decide to ride to the end of the side road to see where it ends up (yes I could just have a look at the map but wheres the fun in that ? )its fun to pick a side road to ride down to find out where they end up- having a map is optional when doing this kind of riding : ) . 

heading down the side I ride over some hills and pass though a few small town. going down one of the hills in one of the town I see a 50n km/h sign- looking down I see i’m doing 58 so I had better slow do a bit so I don't get a speeding ticket . before getting to the end of the road after around 10-15 km. just before the end of the road is a steep hill sign( the one with the car on a 45% angel) most of the time I like theses signs but as I will be coming back this way I will be having to climb back up this hill. after getting some photos of the beach at the end of the road I head back along the way I came (no exit road) until I get back to the start of the road 

at the start of the side road I see some one on a road bike they stop for a chat as he saw the cycle lake taupo thing on my vest he said that had just pick up his new bike from the bike shop that day and was doing a loop ride on the bike after some chat he header off  then it was time for me to head over yet more hills (on one of the down hills I get up to around 60 km/h - just because I cant drive don't mean I don't like to get some speed  up now and then - my top speed on the bike was 87 km/h on my last bike on one of the down hills going from Taupo to Napier  with a full touring load on the way to help at a horse event)  

passing a few more small towns as the road drops back down to sea level heading though town I work my way around the harbor until I get in to the city center where after some shopping and a look around the harbor I head thought traffic until I get to the outskirts of town where I have some nice if some what slow riding until its time to turn the bike lights on- its fun going down the hills with just the bike lights showing the way doing around 40-45 km/h( seems a lot faster at night time) 

on one of the longer down hills I have a car siting on my tail most of the way down ( I do wish they would not do that as if I was to come off or need to stop fast the car may not be able to stop in time maybe I need a back off sign (in other worlds give me some room if you end up behind me on a long down hill  I will try to move over if I’m holding up other traffic when it is safe for me to do so ok) As i get closer to my friends place I have a look at my bike computer to see how far I have done . so far I done 93 km up to this point on todays ride its a nice night for riding so I keep riding into the dark.

 After crossing over the foot bridge i head though the small town - just as I'm leaving town and getting to my turning point I spot a dog on the road - it starts to bark at me and chases me as I ride down the road (over the years i have leant to read what a dog is likely to do if it starts to run after me as I have a lot of dogs run after me over the years - this one wants to bit me if it can chact me so I get up more speed (even after doing 97 km so far to day I can still get up some good speed around 30-35 km/h as I tell  the dog to “go home “ (some times it works) about a km down the road when I know I'm safe from that dog chasing me I stop and turn around and have a think about how to get pass the dog a 2nd time  i decide a mix of speed and telling the dog to go home should work if it decides to case me. i get past the dog ok as I got up to around 40 km/h and it went home after the 3th or 4 th “go home” . riding over the foot bridge at night is some what sirlreal  then is back to my friends place 

It was a good day on the bike -I'm slower getting better on the bike- to days ride was the longer that I have done over the last 2 months so I should be happy with the way the ride went- there are days when I forget that Im disable when I'm just one more bike rider on the road =yes I will be paying for this ride over the next 3 days as with any long ride (any ride over 60 km is a long ride until I can get more fit )  - just not the way its for most people not that I would let a little thing like that stop me from riding - I will not let what I can not do stop me from doing what I can and will do














what don't kill me had better start riding : )



No comments: