Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kerikeri to awanui 98 km

Kerikeri to awanui 98 km

Packing up my tent and saying good bye to the people at the place that I have been staying at ( helping out ) I head up the hill into town to do a few jobs and get food for the next 2 days before riding back up to the main road to head north . Riding along S.H.10? I  felt that the headset on the bike is a bit out so I stop to fix it -  one of the bike tools I bring with me when touring is a 36?/40mm headset spaner as my bike has the older type of headset that takes 2 large 40mm spaners to work on it - its a 5 min job for me to do the headset now I will need to keep an eye on it over the next few days  ( it used to take me about 30+ mins to do it so I'm getting better at it ) back on the road I pass though a few small towns as I work my way over the hills for the day going down one of the last hills i spot an farm tracter that is doing around 20-30 km/h as I'm going around 50 km/h I pull out and pass it like a car would  ( it's a long down hill and I can see a long way down the road or elso I would not of passed then)  when i get into the town of awanui i start looking for a camp ground or some where to set up my tent - it looks like some of the places that i stayed at last time are no longer around so i had to do some hutting around to find a place - i end up staying at the norfolk motel and campervan park for he night ( $15 a night) -it looks like I will need to have a look at the front gears some time soon as I still can't seem to get into the small chan ring in the front most of the time ( just some thing elso to work on with the bike )

Today's plan was to do an about a 60 km ride then start working out where to spend the night but as its a nice day I just keeped going until it got dark so I ender up riding 98 km today ( in other words I did 2 days of planed rides in one day
today)













No comments: