Thursday, April 21, 2016

Some where to tunnel beach 12 km

Some where to tunnel beach 12 km

A late start - not that I'm worried as its only a short day - 12 km - after packing up camp I start on a 8 km fun down hill ride on tarseal - it's not a road I would like to try when tried, in the dark, and a damp (slipley) road - in the daytime on a dry road with a good night's sleep is now a great road to ride as it winds down to near sea level - getting to a road sign I stop to look at my notes to make sure it's the right road - the numbers of Km to places on the road sign  seems out - had this issue yesterday as well - in this case I just ride until I get to where ever I'm going - yep it's the right road so I then head around 4.5 km down a gravel road until I get to a car park at the end of road - there's a informed Campground here (with a water supply out of a small pipe near some old carvans (across the road by a Holliday home? Down a few steps next to the road - I went and saw the farmer to find this out (who's house is on top of a hill up a long and steep drive way as I found out after walking up it to as about a place to get fresh water from)  as well as a old stock tunnel

The old stock tunnel was built by 3 men around 1911 with hand tools so that stock could get on and off the beach for loading /unloading on to ships (this was long before the road was put though)  the tunnel is the hight of a man on horse back high and wide enough for stock to get though - it's now used by fishermen and walkers to access the beach (including looking at the tracks on the beach by 4wbikes)

After setting up camp and getting some fresh water I spend the rest of the day relaxing and doing a bit of reading on the tablet after a walk through the tunnel to see what the tide was doing - how high the water is up the beach

Rest day at tunnel beach - yes the beach has a different name (I just don't know what's it called)  I spend the day doing more reading before heading to the beach though the tunnel to do a bit of rock hoping - keeping a very close eye on the tide as its easy to get cut off from the tunnel on this beach when the tide comes in with the cliffs looking very hard to climb if at all (much of the rock is crumble rock so stay away from the cliff faces - rock falls are common ) - the tunnel is just about the only way on or off the beach - then it's back though the stock tunnel to my tent for some more reading before it's time to sleep for the night

No comments: