Thursday, April 21, 2016

Getting bike parts/work done on the bike on the road

In new Plymouth tonight - hopefully with a bit of luck I be picking up a few more bike bits in the post  tomorrow coming from a bike shop in Hamilton - getting things sent to you tends to be a big pain in the neck at times - as I rule I don't buy bike suff on line and I'm offering ask what bike shops I get my parts from /work done at as I travel a round nz by bike -  I like to deal with only the 2 bike shops in nz that I really trust (most of the other bike shops that I been in over the years on the road have tended to be no where as good and (the two bike shops) have gone out of the way to help me out over the years including getting in then posting out parts to me on the road when I'm traveling (not the easiest of jobs and can be very time consuming for the shops)

- the two main bike shops I prefer to deal with are cyclepro in Hamilton (where I got my first good bike from around 20 years ago - not sure what they website is ) and top gear cycles  in taupo ( http://www.topgearcycles.co.nz)  - there is also a bike shop in palmerston north what I deal with if I'm down that way  (can't remember they name they go under now) the 2 main shops have help me out many times over the years including with the taupo rides as well as my long touring rides including dealing with last minute issues that some times pop up - yes buying parts on line may be cheaper in the short term but not in the long-term (more so if/when you have to send parts back because they don't fit on your bike or you need the use of a tool or skill you don't have- so end up having to go to the bike shop any way) so please support your local good bike shop  - having a custom made bike with a non standard set up has caused more than a few head ach over the years - some times its getting the parts in other times getting the parts to work together in the way I need them to work so I can ride  (the bike I had before my bike Friday was  at first my dad's bike then parts got changed over a few years to the point that the set up was custom so I could ride it) the two shops have spent many a hour working on a issue what others shops put in the to hard basket  (many times the other shops keep trying to sale me a new bike even after I point out all the changes that I would need to make just so I could ride the new bike more then a few km or else they act like I don't know any thing about bikes)

No comments: