Thursday, April 21, 2016

Some where to some where else : )   84 km

Some where to some where else : )   84 km

A nice and early start to the days riding - after packing up camp I get on the road heading south - some times next to the water (sea)  other times heading inland over rolling hills at one point passing through some road works where 1/2 of the road was just a deep hole where a digger was working about 5 m below the level of the road - I got no idea what they was doing digging up that much of the road?  Before the road climbed again 

Latter in the day I see a another bike tourer coming from the other way so we stop for a bit of a chat (I noticed that some bike touring people stop - others just keep riding)  then it's back on the road up a longer hill following by a fun down hill ride until I get to a fork in the road - one way heading towards te kuiti and Hamilton the other way out to the coast  - that's the road I'm taking this time at the cost is a small village where I have a look around (it's one I been to many times over the years as my family used to do caving a lot so spend a lot of time in the area - also my mum now is living near te kuiti so it's not that far to come out to the coast here for her)

After looking at the camping ground (and left wondering why now  it's seems to be $18 a night to camp there in a tent for what is a basic camping ground? - places like this use to be around the $10-14 mark not that long ago) 

Leaving the village involveds a (steep)  climb over a hill with nice view looking back over the village  before heading back down hill - and on to a gravel road for the next x number of Km  - the gravel road is not bad - I have been on bumper tarseal roads : )   the road heads away from sea up a valley (slowly climbing?)  still gravel until the start of a climb up a 200-300? High hill where the road becomes tarseal (to help cars and trucks with going up the hill perhaps? )  the sun is setting as I climb with about 1 car a hour if that on this road - at some point near the top I stop to set up my front lights  before I get back to climbing -  at  the top there's a rest area?  With a tramping track heading off into the bush  - at one point the tracks around here was closed because of a rare frog that had its home in the bush  - the tracks are now reopened - though a large bit of bush is still off limits and the tracks that went that way closed with the markets removed - after some thought I decide that its a safe place to stay the night as I'm no where near a Campground and getting a bit to tried (after 85 hilly km) to keep going safety on the bike so i put up my tent for the night before heading off to bed for the night

No comments: