Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Broadwood to some where  71km?

Broadwood to some where  71km?

After packing up camp I head down to the shop before getting on the road first up riding on tarseal roads until I get to a side road (gravel)  that heads up a hill with logging signs and tire tracks from logging trucks on the road with a side road/track at the top of the first hill?  being the main access point on to the road for the logging trucks - riding over more hills I get to a fork in the road with none of the names on the road sign making sense as I can find then on any map I have with me  - after looking at the landscape and the few maps I do have I think I know a)  where I am and b)  what road to take  ( left turn)  getting back to riding I keep a eye out for any people that I can ask to make sure I'm still on the right road - a few km down the road 3 women are walking down the road so after saying hi i ask then what road I was on - yep I'm still going the right way on the right road - getting to a 2th fork on the road I look at the ride notes and the map before heading to kohukohu getting in to town on a fun down hill - onice I get into town I deside to stop at a café (where after asking nicely the nice people at the café let me pug in my phone to charge up as I'm eating a early lunch) then a look around town before heading for the car ferry 4 km away - what I make with a few minutes to spare with the next ferry being around a hour away (there's one ferry a hour) onice on the other side  at rawene I get some more food and water (there is a (water) drinking fountain near the ferry)  leaving town I head along the road to the end to the road on to S.H. 12 then over some hills to the small towns of opononi and omapere then a longer climb up yet another hill then a fun down hill riding next to farm land passing through a small town before starting a climb up hill towards waipoua forest - just before the forest I started thinking where to stay the night - I head up one drive way to ask about nearby places to camp - as I get up to the house parts of my memory fall into place - I have been to this house before (on my last end to end road) and had forgotten about it (to many head injurys and to many years on the road) after a bit of a chat I end up staying the night in a sleep out (like last time)

No comments: