Sunday, January 3, 2016

Taumarunui to ongarue? 46 km

Well today's ride did not got quite to plan - was raining last night and was still raining this morning as I packed up - I did notice that there was more room in one of my panner bags as I was putting then on the bike but did not think much of it (yep if there's unplanned space in your bag you may have forgotten something - as I was to find out latter) then into taumarunui to get food for the next 2-3 days before heading back towards the (south) start/end of the timber trail on a partly gravel road to ongarue and on to ongarue waimiha Rd - as I'm having a break at around 38 km in to the days ride I got to get the tablet out of my panner bags - only to find its it not where it should be and after taking everything out of my bags still can't find it - it's around this point in time that I remember about the "extra" space in one of pannier bags - Looks like i might of lost/misplace it some where - some nice people in a passing car offer to call the Campground where I stayed the last 2 nights when they get back in cellphone coverage 8 km away down the road before driving back to me with the good news that my tablet is in deed still back at the camp ground (I have no idea how I ended up forgetting it though) so now all I have to do to go and get it what's a bit harder then it seems - end up back tracking 8 km to ongarue then leaving the bike and gear at one of the timber trail shuttle service places then walked the 3 km to the main road to thumb a lift back to taumarunui (and the camp ground) what ended up taking a few hours to get a lift to the camp ground (about 25 km away) heading in to the camp ground the nice people there hand the tablet over to me - they had even recharge it up for me with out asking : ) then its time to start thumbing a lift back to ongarue (back to my gear and bike)  - well after turning one  ride down I got a ride to the other side of taumarunui where I then spend the next 3 + hours trying to get a lift north with no luck at all - time for a new plan as it will be dark soon and I got no gear with me - I ended up calling my mum to get a phone number for a uncle that lives in taumarunui to see if they could give me a lift back to my bike and gear - I was not planning to have to call the uncle as I was not sure how things would go with the new things in my life (Tg suff) and if the person I was calling knew about it so how they would react to to me - some of my family is OK with me being Tg others not so much - with some being very nasty to me - in the end it went ok with the uncle picking up up about a hour?  Before dark and giving me a lift to where my bike and gear was - I pick up my bike and rest of my gear before heading a bit down the road to set up camp for the night

No comments: