Sunday, January 3, 2016

Pureora forest doc camp ground to doc camp site at 40 km into the timber Trail

Pureora forest doc camp ground to doc camp site at 40 km into the timber Trail

A bit of a latter start then planed so I get on the trail around 9 am after packing up camp - the trail is a fun mix of single track going though bush with a 5 min side track to a old bulldozer then it's back on the trail - after crossing over a stream I decide to stop and filter some water in to my camel back and drink bottles -(with it being summer it's hard to know what streams have water in also many of the streams can be a bit hard to get to the water so I full up all my water contanes) - in some places the trail is out in the open (where the bush? had been cut down) at times getting past by a group of riders from up north land and a few other riders - other times I get to pass them - a bit like a game of tag - some times chatting with the other riders - at the bush edge there's a sigh warming about being perpeard for alpine conditions with the track going from a grade 2 to a grade 3 - with the track being a bit steeper as it heads up the side of Mt pureora climbing by switch backs up to a high point around the 15 km mark - I see that a few riders look like they over shot a few of the bends in the track : )  in two places there is side tracks (tramping not cycle) leading up to the summit of Mt pureora (part of the ta trail) in a few places there's is views looking out towards Lake Taupo (and even some cell phone reception - I did look at the phone but decide that any messages can wait a few days : )  and keep using my phone camera to take photos with : )  after the 15 km mark (there are little sign posts each km on the trail saying how far to the end of the trail) the trail tends down hill with the trail a mix of single track, some old logging roads a bit of gravel roads - even a bit of old tramline - in a few places a steep down hill (some times follow with a bit of up hill riding).  a long the trail is different sign boards with different information on the history of the area passing the turn off to bog Inn hut (tramping track (not part of the cycle way  and part of the ta trail)    I keep riding taking a few breaks to look at the landscape or to read the trail signs until I get to to turn off to the doc camp site around the 38 km mark where I turn off the timber trail to head to  the camp site for the night getting in to the camp site around 3:30 pm first getting some more water (decided to give my water filter a clean as it was getting harder to pump - after the clean the filter worked a lot better  : ) before setting up camp for the night and then spend some time going over the bike - swapping over one of the bots that holds the rear panner rack on also took out a few links of chain so the bike would shift better (i had put a new chain, rear derailleur and derailleur hanger in te kuiti so was not sure of the right chain size - first checking to make sure i was not making the chain to short before I took the extra links out)  - after finishing the bike fixing I spend the rest of the day chating to a few of the groups of riders that I passed (or got past by : ) who happen to be staying the night at the camp ground in the middle of the trail. Even though it's new year eve most people are in bed by dark (or sitting around a fire)  Im in my tent by 9:30 pm and asleep soon after : ) - I do wake up about 1/2 an hour before midnight /the new year - I hear a few yells/happy new years before I head back to sleep

No comments: