Monday, January 11, 2016

Why I'm taking on the tour aotearoa route (&how to see how I'm getting on

The fact that some thing is impossible has never been a good reason not to try

Why I'm taking on the tour aotearoa route

On paper for  some one like me to be doing something like the tour aotearoa route in the time frame that I'm looking at (4-6 weeks - hopefully closer to 4 weeks) would  be impossible  (as more then a few people have told me lately )  yet that is just part of the fun - to try the impossible - if I fail so what?  I will just lean from it and try again - if I do in fact do it - then it will be a nice stepping stone to trying some thing else in my life

Doing a ride like the tour aotearoa route has been on my to do list for for a few years now - I don't have a wish list or a bucket list but a to do list as they are things that I plan on doing at a given point in time - I Set a goal - do it & move on to the next goal- some of the things on my list was doing the taupo bike ride - 1x,2,4,8x laps, riding the length of nz by bike on the road (2x) (done in 2014 & 2015) walking the te araoa trail - I have done the north Island (1500 + km of walking over 108 days) (south Island leg is on long term hold because of on going leg issues causing a lot of pain when I'm on my feet for more then a few hours partly caused by how I walk (because of my disabilitys)  - after around 8-10 years of living on the road by bike and on foot I have decided that it's time to at less try to do  the tour aotearoa route. My Mt bike skills are not the best though they are a lot better than what they was(many times on other Mt bike rides I have done in the past I have come off the bike due to balance issues with my dyspraxia - that is partly why my other bike is a bike friday folding bike with 20" wheels and low step over frame (I did look into taking the bike Friday on the ta route but had decided that the Mt bike would be better (having front shocks on the Mt bike and the rear derailleur is a lot higher off the ground so less chance of breaking it again - riding the Mt bike is a lot harder for me then my bike Friday though - so that will be part of the challenge for me on the up coming ride )  doing the tour aotearoa route for me means be able to travel off road (like in some ways like the tramping parts of the te araoa trail) with out the issues of the leg issues that I now have  when going tramping and still travel end to end of  nz (a bit like my other end to end rides but this time off road as much as possible then the mostly on road rides I have done for a fun change )

It this point in time I'm about 4-6 days away from starting my ta route ride

Unlike the others riders doing the tour aotearoa route a bit later in the year (who will be doing it as part of the tour aotearoa ride) I don't have a spot (GPS) tracker or any thing like that as I just don't have the money for such things (as nice as they are) so to see where I'm at /how I'm going I will be posting online (Facebook /twitter /Instagram) when I can (so it may be a few days between updates)

So here is ways to see where /what I'm up to : )

Twitter - @gypsyonabike

Instagram - gypsyonabike1

Blog - lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.co.nz
Facebook - life on the road by bike and on foot  -  https://m.facebook.com/Life-on-the-road-by-bike-and-on-foot-487124424703197/

No comments: