Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Some where to the   camp ground at Cambridge

Some where to the   camp ground at Cambridge

After a bit of a sleep in this morning I get pack up and back on the trail first crossing the 80 m swing bridge large foot bridge over the small Valley and mangawera stream - looking over the side it's long way down  then there's more up and down riding (when I'm not having to push the bike up a few of the climbs that is)  then next to a rock place the trail climbs a lot (a 200 m climb in 2 km or something) using many switch backs where I end up walking some of it (on the up side I'm getting better at working out the best way to push the bike up hills on tight single track : )  at the top of the climb the river trail head on to  tarseal roads for much of the way to arapuni dam  there is still a few bits of off road riding like at Jim Barnett reserve - first up is a down hill ride then a mix of rolling hills and a few flatter bits - the trail is more or less well marked on the road bits - there's a bit of river trail from Jones landing to arapuni dam that's remend that people riding take a road detour to bypass this bit of the trail (unless you are a very good Mt bike rider) at arapuni I went café hunting - the café was closed but across the street was a food trailer selling ice cream (so I got a nice ice cream as it's hot work riding the trails)  after filling up my water bottles at a drinking fonting I headed down a track to cross the large arapuni swing bridge across the gorge that was built in 1925 so workers working on the power house had site access) - next to the bridge is a old tubane runner from the power house also a sign with photos talking about how and why the power house was camouflage during ww2 ( incase it became a target to eamey planes)   onice I got across the swinbridge I headed up power house road (passing a gate across the road (with a sign saying that the road was closed to the public?)  from arapuni I headed on more back roads over a few more hills until I got to a cycle/walking path near the karapiroi dam - from there I took the path into Cambridge where I headed for the camp ground for the night - after I set up camp I headed into town to get a bit of dinner before heading back to the camp ground : )

No comments: