Thursday, January 7, 2016

Some where to woodhill sands (horse place near helesville)  80 km

Some where to woodhill sands (horse place near helesville)  80 km 

After packing up camp I go to put the back panners on the bike only to find out that I got a flat tire on the rear  so after changing the tube and patching the inner tube (will be testing the pach in water before I will use that tube again) then after putting everything back together again I pack my gear on the bike having a bit of a play with some staps that I made up from pink tape and buckets that I pick up at a shop in Hamilton - I'm using pink tape so I can easily see it so I don't forget it so easily (also I like pink things : ) to keep the tent pack up small (one of the 2 compressing straps had ripped out and Macpack wanted $40 for a new tent bag so I decided to just make up some straps instead : ) 

then its time to get on the road after saying good bye to the nice women who let me camp on they back lawn - today im taking back roads north towards auckland  with the road I'm on being tarseal. At I few places I stop to check the map (the map on my phone as I had gone off the edge of the paper map that I have been using) on one of the roads as I came around a bend the road turned into a gravel road with washboard (bumpy) so i unlock the front shocks on the bike (one can lock out the front shocks on my bike with a little leaver on top of one of the fork legs) and keep riding at times riding next to the river other times over hills 

some where along the way the road turns back to tarseal . After a nice fun down hill the road cross's over the river one last time before passing through a few more small towns (at one place passing a moter racing track)   then it's into pukekohe to chach a train into Auckland  - ended up being 2 trains as I had to change to a different train at one point (some thing about using different types of train for different parts of the auckland rail network?) 

onice I get into the main train station I head past the ticket bars?  So I can full up on water as well as getting a ticket for the next  train that will get me out of auckland heading north - make sure you keep your paper train tickets until you are out of the station as they won't let go  out of the main station with out a ticket (or a hop? card) or paying $20-50 fine (not sure how much it was - did see a few people lined up to pay though) also there some times have people on the trains checking tickets /hop cards?  

 On the train north out of the city I fall asleep (opps) waking up just as the train is coming in to the last station.  It's time to get back to riding the bike : )  I ride on back roads much of the way (stopping to check the phone from time to time to make sure I'm going the right way )  then it's on to S.H.16  riding over the "mostly flat" (according to Google maps that is - who put the hills here?) road until I get to a horse place (one of the many places that I help at helping at horse events all over nz for the last 12+ years) where after a quick phone call (from the side of the road earlier ) I set up camp for the night : )

No comments: