Friday, September 7, 2012

some where to waihi 50 km


some where to waihi 50 km

after packing  camp I head down the rail trail towards paeroa. near hikutain the trail leaves the old rail line leading to some more head scratching as I try to navigate the trail - back on the rail bed I keep riding until I get to paeroa where I stop at the info center to find out more about the rail trail though the gorge to waiking? once im back on the trail (yep I got some what lost leaving town - the signs on the trail need more work( bigger and have more info on then ) its winds its way into the gorge across the river from the busy road as I ride along the trail I see around 10-20 people using it - a nice change from the far north cycleway where I saw no one on that trail) in the gorge the trail crosses over the river and busy road on a 2 level bridge (with the road under and the old rail line- now rail trail on top) before heading into a 1600m long rail tunnel (there are lights in the tunnel) before coming out under the busy road the  end of the tunnel then back across the river on a old rail bridge. I keep riding until I get to waikino where there is whats remans of the old gold battle that I stop at to have a good look around (see photos ) before I head over the river on one last old rail bridge to the end of the trail(for now) then im back to riding on the road riding until I get to the town of waihi where after a stop it the info center I head around the (4 km? )rim walk/bike trail the winds its way around the large open pit gold mine in the middle of town -at places along the trail there are info signs about the gold mine also a bike dump truck (see photo) the tires on the truck cost around $20.000 each (and you thought your car or bike tires cost a lot : ) as I ride along the trail part of the bike trailer drags on the grounds in places  wearing a hole in the trailer frame -opps. I decide to stay in a motor camp for a change (yep I do stay in places like motor came some times just not much : ) just as Im setting up the tent its starts to rain - heaver rain with strong winds .













No comments: