Saturday, March 19, 2016

Some where to taumarunui

Some where to taumarunui

I'm pack and on the trail early first heading across the big brige that I camp near last night  then a mix of different types of trail that lead to the mid point on the trail  (the doc camp site where I spent new year eve 2015-2016 at on the way north (i went south from te kuiti to taumarunui before heading north up to Cape reinga so I could do the timber trail and parts of the river trails as a test run for doing the tour Aotearoa route)   I did think of having a short day and staying at the doc camp ground but decide to just keep riding to taumarunui (or where ever I end up when it gets dark : )

From the doc camp site the timber trail climbs up towards the end of one of the bush tramlines crossing over the largest bridge on the timber trail along the way - from the end of the old bush tramline the trail heads down hill. I keep riding until I get to the ongarue spiral  where after trying to do a video of riding around the spiral (didn’t work) I headed back and just did photos of the spiral (what did work : )    - the ongarue spiral was built as part of the bush tramline so the trains could make the climb up the hill (to lessy out the grade of the climb)  then it's on to the end of the timber trail at ongarue.

From ongarue  the tour Aotearoa route heads along a mix of gravel and tarseal back roads to taumarunui where I get some food before heading out of town to the camping ground what's about 5 km south of town for the night

No comments: