Saturday, March 19, 2016

Some where to some where else (on the timber trail : )

Some where to some where else (on the timber trail : )

After packing up camp it's back on the trail riding to mangakino where I do a bit of shopping to replace a drink bottle (lost some where on the trail yesterday ) - after asking at the library about water (where I have a bit of a chat to the nice person there about my route and my ride- who let's me full up on water as my next chance to full up on water that I know of will be some where on the timber trail

 then it's back on the river trail (stopping at the bus stop café for a bit of a chat to some people for a bit ) until I get to where the ta ride notes say to turn off (big thanks to the person (you know who you are : ) who spent a lot of they own time doing ride notes for the tour Aotearoa route - It made my ta ride so much easier knowing where to go and when to turn to stay on Route ) heading a hill I get to what looks to be a locked gate where I would have to unload the bike to get over - luckily it only looks locked then it's on to a fun mix of tarseal and gravel back roads that lead to a road end where there is a rough 4wd? Track down a hill to a old very norow swing bridge (on the site of a logging road  bridge)  I take all the gear off the bike before loseing off the stem bots so I can turn the Handel bars 90% so it's easier to take the bike across the bridge - once I'm across the bridge I put everything back on the bike  - well I should of done the next bit of trail first before reloading the bike as there is a bit where the track?  Drops a bit (where the old track is washed out) and taking the loaded bike though that bit is hard work for me) 

Getting to a old overgrown road I reread the notes to make sure I'm going the right way (it would be very easy to get lost in the Maze of old overgrown bush roads by missing a  turn off in this part of nz)  then it's riding along old bush roads until I come out on to a gravel road - from there the route is along gravel roads to a turn off to a walking track that leads to the center of the North island (where I get some fun photos of the marker) it's one of the places that been on my to visit list as well as a photo stop on the tour Aotearoa ride (one of 30 photo stops on the ta route)

Back on gravel roads I ride until I get to a place where there's a army camp set up so I stop for a chat to check that im still on the right road also if they is any thing I need to be aware of (in case of any army training on my route) then after getting some water from them it's back to riding enjoying the mostly down hill ride to the turn off to the timber trail - on the link track between the gravel road and the timber trail is a old 1928? Caterpillar Crawler Tractor that was used in loging in the 1930-1940s?.

Onice I'm on the timber trail ( A trail I know we'll as I biked it as part of my ride up to the start of the tour Aotearoa route at Cape reinga as well as all so walking it when I walked the north island part of the te Araroa trail (walking from cape reinga to Wellington over 108 days in 2014)  it's a great track to ride ( no steps or places where i have to get off and walk where the trail is to step or hard for me to ride unlike the river trail)  so i have a lot of fun riding it

The trail winds it's way up hill - after one bridge I stop to full up on water out of the steam (using my water filter) . Keeping a eye on the time I keep riding until I run out of day light - was hoping to get to a camping place on the trail but fell a bout 12 km short so ended up camping some where near one of the large swing bridges (that the timber trail is known for) for the night  - yes I did have good bike lights for night riding so could of keep riding into the night but decide not to take risks with possible coming off in the dark or even falling asleep when riding (i have been there done that before ) it being a long hard day on the bike for me

No comments: