Friday, January 3, 2014

Some where to waitiki landing. 95 km

Some where to waitiki landing. 95 km  


After packing up my tent I get on the road heading over a few hills on the way to awanui - the start/end of S.H.10 where I turn on to S.H.1  for the ride up north towards the cape. A few km north is the site of an old ww2 air field that was nz most northerly air field in ww2 with an underground command centre that's still around next the side of the road - see this link for more on this air field http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNZAF_Station_Waipapakauri

The road is winding as it heads north over rolling hills at pukenui I stop for some food as it's the last good shop going north - there is a little shop at te kao and some food at waitiki landing (not much and very high coast  - the place has new people running it now from the last time I was up this way ) at the shop I see 2 other bike riders so have a bit of a chat before it's time to get back on the road

Around 10-15 km down the road I spot one of the bike riders I saw at the shop on the side of the road with a flat tire so I stop to give him a hand as he asks what the road is like for the rest of the way north - after fixing the flat and looking at the map we get back on the road just the the other bike rider comes back to see what happened 

After a few more rolling hills and the odd rain shower I get to Te Kao where they sell over size ice creams : ) about 10-15 after I got to the shop the 2 riders pull in - as I'm eating my ice cream they ask me if I know any thing about fixing bikes I say some ( well one tends to pick up the skill over the years on the road : ) one of the bike has lose cones on the front wheel causing the wheel to wobble - 2 mins later I got the wheel fixed and back on the bike - I do show then what I did so they can do it next time - when I can I like to show people how I fixed some thing so they can do it then seft next time ( when I'm not around ) 

Riding back on the road the road heads over some longer rolling hills and a few one lane bridges for about 25 km before coming into waitiki landing where there is a little shop? And a motor camp? - up to a few years ago the was as far as the tar seal went - the last 22? Km was still gravel - now it's tar seal all the way - in some ways I liked it more before as it made drivers take more care - though with no cell phones working for around the 50-70 km of road before the cape drivers seem to be taking more care ( well most of then any way )

Getting into waitiki landing around 5:30 pm  I decide to set up camp for the night - they charge me $10 a night  ( showers are $1-2 on top of that ) - the place looks some what run down - I will decide tomorrow what my plans are - if I take all my gear up to the lighthouse at the top or just the bike 

After chatting to some of the few? guests that are staying the night and doing some reading I head to bed for the night




















No comments: