Friday, January 3, 2014

Awanui to some where near kaeo 82 km

Awanui to some where near kaeo 82 km 

A very late start as I have washing to get done as well as a few other thing on my to do list  getting on the road by about 11 am  I head over two longer some what easy hills before some riding flats before getting back into the hills passing busy holiday towns on the coast like taipa,cable bay and mangonui - cable bay is named because back in 1901-1912? There was a cable station here at one end of a cable that ran from nz to Queensland  at the time it was the loungers cable in world ( this info came from a sign by the beach about cable bay  ) 

Stoping at mangonui for some late lunch - also to replace a missing R clip that helps on the trailer wheels on ( happens from time to time : ) I spend a bit of time looking at the map to see where I might end up sleeping tonight  

Back on the some what busy road  I head over more hills at one point passing a old wooden  boat  on the side of the road that's been there for at less the last few years - it's a nice land mark for me as it marks the top of an hill climb. : ) 

The road is a mix of rolling hills and flat parts near sea level as it runs beside the sea 

Heading into the town of kaeo  I stop to get a photo of the town name sign  - kaeo - small town big sprit  getting some photos of some of the old building (many dating back to the gum digging days ) I note the the shop in town is all ready closed for the day - thought that may be the case ( early closing times ? ) it's why I stocked up on 2 days of food early in the day

Riding a few km out of town I decide to ask at a farm if they knew of any where I might be able to put up a tent up for the night - the nice people at the house said I could put up my tent on they back lawn - after doing that I got asked if I would like some thing to eat - after saying I was I little hungry they gave me a plate of scrabble eggs that was very nice of then to do : ) - after looking at a bit of TV ( not some thing I see much of : ) it's time for bed - it's a warm night so I end up just with sleeping bag over my legs for most of the night  














No comments: