Friday, June 12, 2015

Te kuiti to Cambridge 75 km

Te kuiti to Cambridge 75 km

Some what of a early start to the day as I get in the last of my packing before saying good bye to my mum and heading down the bumpey drive way (a good time to find out if any of my gear is going to fall off on gravel roads) once  I'm on the road the day's riding starts with a hill to climb over ( the first of many hills to climb). After heading down the other side of the hill I paused for a bit before turning left on to S.H.3 . With the temperature around 5c it's a bit of cold start to the day but then it is winter time . 

The next bit of fun for the day is some big road works where there is a big round about being put in ( some thing to do With many drivers don't seem to know what give way is so its going from side road with a give way sign to a round about ( that even less people seen to understand) I find it a bit crazy that is costing about $3.7m to put in the round about that is not even going to fix the issue of bad drivers not giving way or breaking other road rules  ( nz and overseas drives ) so it may even cause more crashes ?  As I ride over the potholes ( they still have to tar seal parts of the new road ) at around 25 km/h so I don't get run over by inpatient drivers I wonder not for the first time why people seem to want or think they need to get places as fast as possible at the same time breaking many of the road rules ( that are they for safety) for me if it takes all day to get some where it's ok because that's speed I travel  at ( 4 km/h when walking or 15-20 km/h when I'm on the bike ) 

After the road works I stop for a food break  (some bananas )  near the big apple cafe ( getting a photo of the big apple as I pass by ) a few more hills latter I get in to the town of otorohanga  where I take a 10 min break or so before its time to keep riding North  to the next town on today's ride stoping for breaks from time to time -at one of there's stop i look at my phone to see how many more km to my friends place where I will be staying the night - hum the road I should be taking to Cambridge off S.H.3 is before the next town and the next place to buy food so I decide to change the roads I'm taking so I will pass by a super market- well so much for the best layed plans as I end up going right pass the supermarket with out stoping as I'm busy working out what roads to take and dealing with traffic so I end up running  out of food about 10 km from Cambridge opps  - it's a slow ride into town for the last 10 km - much of the 25 km from te a to Cambridge is flat with no wind and not to hot or cold today. Getting into the town of Cambridge I stop to get some food and chat for a bit with some one who was getting lifts by thumb (I saw then at a few places on the side of the road today ) also had a chat to some school kids who asked about my bike and where I came from /where I was going ( the same thing I get asked by people 10-20 times a day at times ) then I heading off to my friends place for the night  ( only got missed place a few times along the way ) tomorrow ( Tuesday) is a rest day for me before I head off to field day's on Wednesday  


 

No comments: