Saturday, July 17, 2010

motutere bay to Mangahuia doc camp

motutere bay to Mangahuia doc camp 75 km

an early start as I have a long day ahead of me with a lot of hills. Riding beside lake taupo for part of the way to turangi where I shop for some food (last shop for about 50 km) a few km out of turangi is Tokaanu power station where I stop to get some photos before the long climb up to Te Ponanga saddle (360m in 6 km) stoping a few times to look at the view over lake taupo and to have some lunch. After I get to the top there is a fun down to lake rotoaira where I stop to get photos of the lake and the intake for the power station after the lake the road rolls up and down more up then down passing a few rivers that feed into lake rotoaira (the water then is feed into a intake of an tunnge thought the hill then down 4 big pipes into the power station then by a tail race in to lake taupo ) just on dark I stop and put my bike lights on and keep riding as it as a nice night to ride with a full moon over Mt Ruapehy . passing the odd farm house and a few side road I ride on some times a car stops and asks me if i am ok I say that I am ok then I ask then if the know how far it is to the doc camp (the cars that pass give me more room in the night time then they do in the day time) passing the turn of to Whakapapa village I get to the doc camp about 7:30 pm where I set up my tent and go to sleep for the night

No comments: