Saturday, April 17, 2010

riding a long the riverbanks

went for a ride on the tracks along the river and streams around palmerston north today going to the end of the walkway and then going back the way I came on the walkway I did about 85 km by the time I got back to where I am staying with a side trip into town (the last 16 km in the dark with my lights on-night riding is fun) there was a lot of people using the walk ways what is nice to see (and I saw a lot of dogs getting walk (maybe 40+dogs ) I went past the 2 (horse) race courses -Thoroughbred and harness racing -the walk way passes right next to then (no bikes allow on the walk way next to the thoroughbred race course between 5am and 9am each day (as horses are being work then) on one of the side stream walk ways (there is a few side tracks going along beside streams) i had some ducks and geese come right up to me. at one place there was some fun tracks though some pine tree that i was having fun on (until I came off the bike -just a small cut and a sore knee from where the handlebar hit me) I was riding my mountain bike as the track is uneven in places (my mountain bike has front suspension and brakes and i ride it in places i don't want to ride my bike friday (my bike friday can be used off road but the rear derailleur hangs a bit to low for riding on track with a lot of big rocks)

so now i know where the walk way goes to now - it is a nice way to get a round town off the roads and away from the cars (it's not that i don't like the idea of cars it's more the way they are used what i don't like (and having been hit a few times I don't think much of the way a lot of people drive- it's my blog so I get to say what I think about cars and the people who use then)

It was a nice way to spend 1/2 a day on the bike ( about 6 hours by the time I stoped to talk to people and to take photos

see photos below



















No comments: