Thursday, November 12, 2015

Old coach road to ohakune 17 km

Old coach road to ohakune   17 km

Packing up camp I keep heading down the cycle trail with the trail tending down hill until it gets to a fork in the trail - one way leads to a large old rail bridge with the other was leading to the road end and ohakune (when the rail line was partly rebuild in the 1980s  parts of the line was moved to take out sharp bends so some new big rail bridges was built on this part of the line as well as some big cuttings including one that cut though a place where a tunnel was used (with the tunnel being cut in 1/2 - the remaining part of the tunnel is now part of the old coach road cycle trail  - 2 mins off the main trail on a side trail with one end of the tunnel block off (the end with the new rails)  at the fork I  take the track to the bridge walking the bike across then after a short break for some photos I turn around and head back to the fork this time taking the trail that's leads to the ohakune road end of the cycle trail at one point passing under the (new) rail line before climbing up hill a bit then down hill (passing the turn off for the old rail tunnel) then is a longer down hill ride with Bush on one side and farm land on the other down the old coach road - very bumpey in places (as much of the trail is) as its is the old coach road with the (now rounded) rocks from 100+ years ago when the road was in use (the road was used for 2? Years Until the to ends of the Auckland - Wellington rail line joined up) getting to the start/end of the off road part of the trail I have a few km of gravel road to ride then some more km of tarseal roads to ride to take me in to ohakune when after I get a bit of food and some thing to drink (as I rain out of water some time last night) before heading to the library for a bit (also posted a box of suff to my mums place - as I had to much gear in my panner bags /trailer)  then its time to head up the road to the doc camp ground (where I tend to stay when I'm in town) for the night

No comments: