Tuesday, October 30, 2012

taupo to hamilton 145 km


taupo to hamilton 145 km

well after spending far longer in taupo then I planed for (i was going to only going to stay one night)- one of the things I have notice over the years  is the more I plan out things i find my plans need changing so I dont like to try to plan ahead to much when on the road its time to get back on the road - with out the trailer this time as it still needs fixing (tried getting it wealed - well that laster all of 5 mins so back to the drawing board ) A friend is looking after my mt bike and the bike trailer until i can work out a way to fix it- packing up the bike takes longer as I work out where to put suff I end up with the tent siting on top of the front panniers and the sleeping mat and boots on the rear panniers with the rack bag on top of the rack 

After saying good bye to the people at the place that I have been staying at for the last few weeks? I head up the road turning right at the end of the road riding past the dam then on the  main road (taupo- rotorua) until I get to the taupo bypass round about where I head up S.H.1- its been a few years from the last time I bike on this part of S.H.1 ( back when I used to live in Hamilton I use to ride this road a few times a year as I went from horse show to horse show- as I live on the road full time now I don't take this road much theres day as its not a road I like much - it's a busy road with many large trucks ) riding over some hills until I get to dam? where i take a 5 min rest before heading along the road riding over a bridge that will be replace when they finish the new one (see photos) - with all the road works i decide to ride just off the road on part of the new? road because theres no shoulder ( some of the trucks are hitting the road cones as they pass) with a nice tail wind and the road tending down hill it's a nice day to be out on the bike and the sun is out : ) riding though a few towns  stopping for a late lunch in tokoroa  and an ice cream in tirau before heading for my friends place near hamilton after riding 145 km i get to my friends place before dark- I was only planing to do around 60 - 80 km today but as it was such a nice day with a great tail wind I decided to just keep riding and see where I end it up when the sun set - its one of the things that I like about traveling on my own - I can decide how much or how little I ride each day depending on the weather , where I’m heading for and what I feel like doing on the day : )


in a few days time i will be heading off to equidays (a big horse event) to help out over a few days before heading back down to taupo for a few more horse events also to get ready for the taupo bike ride : )

                                                        new bridge & old bridge





                                             bike with gear on


                               it can be a tight fit some times





No comments: