Tuesday, March 6, 2012

jerusalem to otumaire

jerusalem to otumaire 27 km

after packing and saying good bye to the care taker? i ride along  the gravel road until Ranana (London ) where the gravel end and the road is tar-seal the rest of the way. about 4 km out of ranana there is the kawam flour mill(first built in 1854) with a restored millers colonial style cottage next to it. stoping for a break I have a look around the mill(was re built in the 1980s i think) back on the road looking at the river as the mist burns off I pass by the flying fox ( A nice looking place to stay but you need to book ahead as the only way to get there is by boat or on a cable car as they are on the other side of the river) about lunch time I get to the free camping place at otumaire where after some food I decide to have an easy day and camp there for the night - as I don't need to be in fielding until the 28/02/2012 I can take as long as I like riding the river road (it’s nice not having many deadlines to deal with each day) unlike many people on bike tours I don't need to be in X by Y date : ) as I'm having a little sleep in my tent it starts to rain hard soon it turns in to a storm with lighting and thunder as the water start to leek in to the back end of my tent I get my tower out so I don't end up with a small lake in my tent(time to start looking for a new tent as the one I'm using is starting to wear out) spending the rest of the day doing some winting and chating up on some reading
















No comments: