Wednesday, October 16, 2013

k2 loop 217 km 5/10/2013


k2 loop 217 km 5/10/2013

Its time for my next long training ride. Where to go and how far to ride time?

looking at the map and a few of the cycling book that i have with me i see theres a ride called  K2 - its a loop around coromandel 197 km with 2300 m of climbing (and descent : ) so no a easy ride - i wonder if im up to doing this ride as im not sure what im like on longer rides- most of my rides lately has been around 35-70 km also the few longer rides i have done lately has not had that much climbing 

well at first i thought maybe not as i don't want to over do things (over training ) also so i would be adding 30 km to the loop - 15 km each way for me to get into Thames from where im staying in my tent 

hum what to do?

suff it - time for rule number 5

theres only one way to find out if i can do this ride -that way is just to do the ride and see what happens 

on the road by 6 am starting with 5 km of gravel road be for the tar seal starts - with the bike set up the way im looking at doing for the taupo ride- handle bar bag and tail bag (on top of the rear rack) food on this ride will be mostly nature valley bars -on the taupo ride i will use hammer food and drink 

in thames by 7 am - off to the supermarket to get some more food - well the supermarket is still closed until 8 am. time for plan B the food i have with me will last me about 100 km so i will just pick up some more food on the way some where

as im leaving the car park (of the still closed shop ) i spot some other riders getting ready to go for a ride so i have a 2 min chat to then . turns out they are also doing the k2 loop - the k2 bike race is in a few weeks time so theres a few groups of riders out riding the course

Leaving thames heading south? Towards Kopu the road is flat im riding along at about 20-25 km/h At Orongo? I turn onto the Kopu-Hikuai rd in places the road is rught as it heads along a valley before the first big hill of the day - part of the way up the climb a group of rider who just happen to be riding about the same speed as me comes up behind me - I have a bit of a chat to a few of the riders -well as much of a chat is one can having working they way up a some what long and steep hill. at the top of the hill the other riders stop to take a break ( as i tend to ride on my own i keeping riding getting up to around 60 km/h on the down hills - a few km latter the group of riders that i had a chat to on the way went past (riding in a paceline saves you about 20% energy? then being on your own ) - the group of riders and me play tag for a bit.

at one point as im doing around 30 km/h a bee hits my arm and stings me (ouch!) so I slow down a bit as i take a look at where the bee hit before getting back up to speed 

keeping up around 25-35 km/h until I get to Tairua where I stop to take off my leg warmers -yep summer is on the way : ) after getting a photo of the vile i get back on the bike heading over more hills and even a few flatter bits on the way to Whitianga where I stop for lunch and to pick up some more food for the rest of the ride (still have about 100+ km to ride today )

from Whitianga the road has many small hills and a few larger (and steeper ) hills - one of then has a sign at the top saying steep down hill - yep its a steep down hill as I get up to 80 km/h riding down it - A new top speed on my bike friday : ) after Te rerenga theres the cormandel wall (300 m climb in about 3 km ) spinning my way up the climb (in the heat of the day ) I sit around 6-8 km/h keeping my heat rate down

getting to the top of the hill I spend about 10 mins chating to some people who was asking about the bike friday  (tends to happen a lot : ) then its time to head down the hill to the town of coromandel - my new break pads get a good work on the down hill - 30 min up and 4 mins down. 5 mins latter as im coming into town i get a flat tire on the back i decide just to swap out the tube and pach it latter .

after a stop at a shop for a ice cream im back on the road riding beside the coast towards thames - theres still 2 big and steep hills to climb over - once i get over then the road runs beside the sea to Thames. using the aro-bars (more for a change of prosen ? then for speed ) for the last hour or so to Thames  im riding at around 20-25 km/h 

stoping in Thames for some subways for tea ( a nice sit down tea for a change : ) then its time to put the leg warmer back on for the last 15 km back to my tent over a few small hills and 5 km of gravel back to my tent 

time on the bike for the k2 loop was about 11 hours - maybe 14 hours for the full 217? km - long lunch and tea + flat tire and chatting to people a long the way : ) yes I could of gone faster but as it's my fun training ride and not a race I get to decide where to ride and how fast : )

In short a long hot fun day out on the bike riding though some nice parts of NZ

No comments: