Sunday, October 16, 2011

the taupo ride only around 6 weeks away

with the taupo ride  only around 6 weeks away I have been doing more km on the bike each week (around 265 km this week)

I also have been doing a lot of reading about doing long rides (bike rides over 200 km) and have been doing some planing to make sure that the ride will go as well as it can go on the day- my to do list is now down to 2 pages from the 10 pages I had a few weeks ago
I have been going over the bike replacing most of the drive chain on the bike as a lot of it has wore out over the last year as I have done around 7500+ km in  the last 12 months on the bike friday as well as around 1500 km on the mt bike so that bike got a few new parts as well ( I also replaced a few other things on the bike friday so I don't have to worry about then not working on the ride)as I like to have my bikes ready to ride at all times

my training has been getting back on track  after a few weeks taking it easy as my leg heal up- I don't know what took longer to get better- getting back to riding as I toured around the east coast back to Palmerston north after the fall or winting for the leg to heal after the Dr. deal with the big lump I had on the leg from the fall(falling 1-2 m on to a steel bar is not a good thing to have happen when training for a long bike ride )

I not sure how my training will go next week as I will be at 2 horse events -hasting A&P show and dressage at taupo getting a lift with a friend (back on track) so I will be trying to fit my training some where (maybe a few night rides?)

a few weeks before the taupo ride there is 230+km fun ride in Palmerston north (tour de manawatu 2 lap ride) that I will be doing before riding up to taupo about a week before the start of taupo ride I ride up to taupo as I cant drive and don’t like to take the bus places when I can ride my bike also I will be getting in the last of my training as I ride up - it’s an easy 3-4 day bike tour up to taupo  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing 7500+ km's in a year, you need a Rohloff!
Wear it in not out.

Unknown said...

having a rohloff set up on a bike works for some people but not for me. Why

the cost for a rohloff set up- I live on around $10,000 a year -the bike friday was payed for by fundrasing after some one took my last bike at a horse event where I was helping out so I had a set cost for the bike- getting a rohloff set up would of made the cost to high for me to get the bike.

when I was looking at what parts to have on the bike I pick parts that could be found at most bike shops and that were easy to work on (I do 95% of the work on my bikes)-even rohloff need work (or break) some times

as I have more then one set of wheels for the bike (I have a spare set of wheels for when I get new rims or if I need to have other work done on the wheels) I would need 2 (or more )rohloff wheels) also if some one was to take the back wheel I can get a new wheel for around $300 ( I use hand made wheels on the bike friday)

so for me the set up that I run now works for the type of riding I do